$158.00 - 25 mg
$553.00 - 100 mg
All prices in Australian dollars
- Bactralycin, Dermotricine
- CAS #
- Molecular Formula
- C66H87N13O13 (for Tyrocidine A (80%))
- Molecular Weight
- >95% composite purity (based on 80% tyrocidine and 20% Gramicidin complexes)
- Long Term Storage
- Soluble in ethanol, methanol, DMF or DMSO.
Download Data Sheets
Tyrothricin is a complex of two unrelated peptide families, gramicidin complex and tyrocidines complex, produced by Bacillus brevis and discovered by Dubos in 1939. Typically, tyrothricin is composed of 20% of the linear pentadecylpeptide gramicidins and 80% of cyclic decapeptide tyrocidines. Both the gramicidins and tyrocidines act by disrupting bacterial cell wall integrity, but by differing mechanisms. Tyrothricin is used clinically for bacterial skin infections in some countries.
- Studies on a bacterial agent extracted from a soil bacillus. Dubos R.J. J. Exp. Med. 1939, 70, 11.
- The isolation of bacterial substances from cultures of Bacillus brevis. Hotchkiss R.D. & Dubos R.J. J. Biol. Chem. 1941, 141, 155.
- The amino acid composition of tyrocidine. Gordon A.H. et al., Biochem. J. 1943, 37, 313.
- Gramicidin channels and pores. Wallace B.A. Ann. Rev. Biophys. Biophysical Chem.1990, 19, 127.