$200.00 - 0.50 mg
$700.00 - 2.50 mg
All prices in Australian dollars
- Homomycin, (-)-Hygromycin A, 1703-18B, Antibiotic WS 1627B, Totomycin, Antibiotic YK 43-2, Antibiotic 51086, Compond 51086, YK 43-2
- CAS #
- Molecular Formula
- Molecular Weight
- >95% by HPLC
- Long Term Storage
- Soluble in ethanol, methanol, DMF or DMSO.
Download Data Sheets
Hygromycin A is a neutral aminoglycoside produced by Streptomyces hygroscopicus, reported by researchers at Eli Lily in the early 1950s. The much rarer hygromycin A is structurally unrelated to hygromycin B and the metabolites display quite different biological profiles. Hygromycin A inhibits bacterial ribosomal peptidyl transferase, binding to the ribosome in a distinct but overlapping manner with other antibiotics. Hygromycin A is active against Gram positive and Gram negative bacteria, including Mycobacteria, Leptospira and Treponema. Hygromycin A has immunosuppressant and anthelmintic activity. Most recently, hygromycin A has been reported as having unexpectedly specific activity against Borrelia burgdorferi, the causative agent of Lyme disease.
- Hygromycin. I. Preliminary studies on the production and biologic activity of a new antibiotic. Pittenger R.C. et al. Antibiot Chemother 1953, 3, 1268.
- Hygromycin A, an antitreponemal substance. I. Screening method and therapeutic effect for Treponema hyodysenteriae-caused infection in CF-1 mice. Omura S. et al. J Antibiot 1987, 40, 1619.
- Pentalenolactone I and hygromycin A, immunosuppressants produced by Streptomyces filipinensis and Streptomyces hygroscopicus. Uyeda M. et al. Biosci Biotech Biochem 2001, 65, 1252.