$150.00 - 0.50 mg
$525.00 - 2.50 mg
All prices in Australian dollars
- CAS #
- Molecular Formula
- Molecular Weight
- >95% by HPLC
- Long Term Storage
- Soluble in ethanol, methanol, DMF or DMSO.
Download Data Sheets
Penicillic acid is a toxic metabolite of various Aspergillus spp., Penicillium spp. and a marine-derived Exophiala sp. discovered in the early 1900s. Its structure was reported in 1936 by Raistrick and co-workers. Penicillic acid exists as a tautomeric butenolide in solution. Penicillic acid has broad biological activity, as an antimumor, antiviral, antibacterial and quorum sensing active. Penicillic acid is a potent inhibitor of alginate biosynthesis with MIC of 6 μg/mL for 86% inhibition of alginate production. Penicillic acid also inhibits LPS-induced NO production and NF-κB activation.
- Tautomerism of penicillic acid. Munday C.W. Nature 1949, 163, 443.
- Antitumor and antiviral properties of penicillic acid. Suzuki S. et al. Agr Biol Chem. 1971, 35, 285.
- Identity and effects of quorum-sensing inhibitors produced by Penicillium species. Rasmussen T.B. et al. Microbiol. 2005, 151, 1325.
- Inhibition of NF-kappa B activation by penicillic acid and dihydropenicillic acid isolated from fungi. Tachibana M. et al. Heterocycles 2008, 76, 1561.